It would be easier if it dropped in from the top but because the charging port is on the left side (when the tablet is in landscape position) I'll have to slide it in from the right. I chose this way because my steering wheel would be in the way if I slid it in from the left.
I got a little further yesterday.
I painted the backside. I didn't worry about it being perfect because I plan on felting it.
Third coat of filler is on and sanded. It's a finer coat for a smoother finish. This should be the final coat. My only problem is I'm limited to 400 grit sand paper unless I order some 800 or 1000 grit online. I don't think I can wait though!
Put a coat of primer and two coats of paint (used for car bumpers).
Did a test fit after I cut the bottom/back edge. It fits pretty good. Only problem is, now I'll have to paint the rest of the center console to match!
While the faceplate was drying I went back to work on the cradle. I reinforced the back side and added a small bolt (held in place under three coats of fiberglass). The bolt will attach to the actuator. Again, I didn't worry about sanding the backside of the cradle because it will be hidden from view behind the faceplate.
The polarity reversing relay is on back-order so it looks like I'll have to wait for a while to work on the actuator. In the meantime I will finish up attaching the cradle to the faceplate, paint the center console and mount the faceplate.