2005 Nissan Xterra GT 2.0 Install
Hey everyone, I'm new here and this will be my first ever build/modification of any car system.
This will be on my 2005 Nissan Xterra.
A little about myself and how I've come about deciding on this project. I'm 29, a IT System Administrator, complete geek, and love new technology. For the last 2 years I've been wanting to put a double din nav system in place of my factory stereo. I've waited patiently for prices to come down and also for something to truly be compatible with my Android cell phone. Alas nothing is hitting the market that makes me want to spend my hard earned money.
Some how I found these forums and saw what people were doing with Galaxy Tablet installs, and I got hooked immediately. I've read several of the threads on this site pertaining to GT installs and I'm ready to make this happen. I see many pros and cons, but before I can even move forward I need help from the community here to make the biggest decision on which GT model to select for my build; that decision being WIFI only model vs. a model with a cell contract.
I'm wanting to have the following functionality in making this transition.
1) GPS with google maps.
2) Pandora app
3) Video playback (watch movies for long car rides) Some of the place I travel have very large cell phone dead spots.
4) Iheartradio app, I listen to a lot of sports talk.
5) Bluetooth connected hands free cellphone calling. This is a big one and I haven't been able to find if this is even possible with the GTs.
All of the above functions bring up the following questions.
1) What are the biggest differences between the WIFI only models and the contract versions? I ask this because I wonder how well the WIFI only works with tethering from an Android phone. I realize of course that the tethering only will be as good as the network which the phone is on (which may mean I switch cell networks). This brings me to my next questions.
2) Is it better to tether for applications like pandora, iheartradio; or is bluetooth connectivity better?
3) If I go with the wifi model Google maps will only work with tethering from my cell phone correct?
4) Can I use BT to connect my cell phone to GT and make that play over my speakers through the tablet?
If I can get some help from anyone knowledgable about these areas I'll then make my choice and move on to my next problems in my build and get some help there too.
I look forward to seeing this take shape over the next 5-10weeks, should be fun.