Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45

Thread: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7inch tablet in 2006 G35 double din

  1. #21
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4
    it looks like you didnt even need to modify your dash piece to fit the tab? was it a perfect fit?

  2. #22
    Variable Bitrate daclothe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by viceversa View Post
    haha yeah I was starting to get frustrated b/c I want to answer questions but have to wait over a day for a mod to approve whatever I post lol yeah my post count is low but hey ive been a member here for 4 years! well I'm over 5 post so maybe its 10? iuno but i wish a mod would chime in.
    they're probably just penalizing you for not participating for the last 4 years lol

  3. #23
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    35
    Sorry for intervening, but viceversa's reply is probably being pre-moderated again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dzlxia View Post
    I'm a newb here but it seems like a dual core is overkill sort of. The android, maybe running linux would do just fine (I think).
    Android is actually not very efficient in using resources, as all the apps are in a Java and running in a virtual machine, they are sometimes a bit sluggish, especially with single core, so dual-core is just fine. Also dual-core processors are newer, and usually are even more power-efficient than single-core old ones.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dzlxia View Post
    -Is there any carPC front ends for the android? or are you just sticking with the regular android interface?
    Personally I haven't done a research yet, but from my point of view Android itself is already almost like a specialized front-end. What a CarPC front-end does? It implements some pretty touch-friendly UI with big buttons, virtual keyboard, plugins, easy way to run applications, etc. But Android itself already has all that and more! I'd say any launcher on Android would be just fine for basic CarPC application.
    There are though some advanced functions, which could be done with a PC, but not with Android.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dzlxia View Post
    -In you hunting, did you find any 7 " tablet with BT phone synchronization?
    I haven't seen one. It doesn't mean they do not exist though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dzlxia View Post
    -Did you base your decision at all on the processor? If so, what good & best bang for the buck? *(I'm on a budget)
    Personally I wouldn't really care what exactly processor is there. They are all ARM, all very similar. And the processor does not affect the final price that much - there are too many other factors. Of course there are some cheap tablets from unknown Chinese manufacturers, which may have some old 600MHz processor, but I don't see a point buying those right now when you can get Samsung, for example, for $250 or even cheaper.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dzlxia View Post
    - Can you ad USB ports and get all the functionality of a windows /Cetrafuse setup? (I.E. sound cards, Fusion brain, whatever...)
    Connecting peripheral devices to Android tablet is quite difficult. I'm not even sure if all the tablets have USB-host. These devices are definitely less expandable than a PC.
    D945GCLF2, Atom 330, M2-ATX, EBY-701, Pharos GPS-500... - Assembled & Installed!

  4. #24
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by LP560 View Post
    it looks like you didnt even need to modify your dash piece to fit the tab? was it a perfect fit?
    I actually had to mod quite a bit of my dash trim pieces to get the charger and headphone jack to fit. I feel like with most cars this would not be such a big deal but the width of my center dash is very limited.

    Quote Originally Posted by daclothe View Post
    they're probably just penalizing you for not participating for the last 4 years lol
    haha probably. I lurk Most of the time on forums I dont need to really post since most of my questions have already been answered.

    Quote Originally Posted by alpax View Post
    Sorry for intervening, but viceversa's reply is probably being pre-moderated again.

    Android is actually not very efficient in using resources, as all the apps are in a Java and running in a virtual machine, they are sometimes a bit sluggish, especially with single core, so dual-core is just fine. Also dual-core processors are newer, and usually are even more power-efficient than single-core old ones.

    Personally I haven't done a research yet, but from my point of view Android itself is already almost like a specialized front-end. What a CarPC front-end does? It implements some pretty touch-friendly UI with big buttons, virtual keyboard, plugins, easy way to run applications, etc. But Android itself already has all that and more! I'd say any launcher on Android would be just fine for basic CarPC application.
    There are though some advanced functions, which could be done with a PC, but not with Android.

    I haven't seen one. It doesn't mean they do not exist though.

    Personally I wouldn't really care what exactly processor is there. They are all ARM, all very similar. And the processor does not affect the final price that much - there are too many other factors. Of course there are some cheap tablets from unknown Chinese manufacturers, which may have some old 600MHz processor, but I don't see a point buying those right now when you can get Samsung, for example, for $250 or even cheaper.

    Connecting peripheral devices to Android tablet is quite difficult. I'm not even sure if all the tablets have USB-host. These devices are definitely less expandable than a PC.
    Thank You for answering! and finally someone understands you don't need some "front end" app with android. That has been the number 1 question people ask me...I also updated my second post showcasing an app called "Desktop Visualizer" which allows you to create big shortcut icons on your homescreen while choosing whatever icon you want.

    Regarding the bluetooth, it is a android limitation...a android device cannot act as a bluetooth headset plain and simple. I have a work around for this and it works great, I bought a external bluetooth headset with 3.5mm output and plugged that up to my EQ aux input. My phone is paired with the bluetooth headset NOT the tablet so when a phone call comes in I just press the aux button on my EQ and there ya go. Look into an app called "Tablet Talk" to get a better idea of it all.

  5. #25
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by viceversa View Post
    I actually had to mod quite a bit of my dash trim pieces to get the charger and headphone jack to fit. I feel like with most cars this would not be such a big deal but the width of my center dash is very limited.
    Actually I believe most cars will have a problem - just because the tablet is about 15mm wider than the standard double-DIN unit, and especially because of that charger cable, which sticks out for about an inch. I tried to fit a 7" Samsung tablet into that double-DIN frame that I use for my Lilliput - apparently it needs to be cut, and most importantly, the car dash piece may need to be modified too - there are some connectors on the sides, which, I'm afraid, may not allow the tablet to fit inside. And this is in Honda Pilot, which has a pretty big console - most cars have a smaller one.
    By the way, I think the situation can be improved a little, if you could find an angular data/charging connector for the tablet. I haven't yet found one in my quick online search, but it might exist. Something like this, if you cut the other half off:

    Name:  Samsung_Tab_Connector.jpg
Views: 3041
Size:  3.7 KB

    Or you could just disassemble the standard connector, and make an angular one from it yourself. Shouldn't be too difficult:

    Name:  USB_power_cable.jpg
Views: 3893
Size:  25.6 KB

    Another alternative would be to find a 7" tablet with the connector on the wider side - like the 10" ones. I wonder if one exists. Or just get one, which unlike Samsung doesn't use a proprietary data/charge connector, but a micro-USB or just a simple power connector, which usually is already angled.

    Quote Originally Posted by viceversa View Post
    haha probably. I lurk Most of the time on forums I dont need to really post since most of my questions have already been answered.
    Same here. Most of my questions are resolved by using the Search.

    Quote Originally Posted by viceversa View Post
    Thank You for answering! and finally someone understands you don't need some "front end" app with android.
    Exactly! I've been thinking about this since I first saw an Android tablet - it's just meant to replace the CarPC. It already has everything what a regular CarPC FE would offer! And it's more usable and easier customizable - with a lot of widgets and apps available, which are designed to work on a small(ish) touch-screen and be controlled with a finger.

    By the way, one of the important advantages of Android is the navigation system. I've been looking for a good, cheap, preferably free solution for CarPC, but there is not a lot of choice. For Android you could just use the standard Google Maps and Navigation, or get one of the available third-party navigation apps, and of course most of the tablets already have a GPS module.

    Quote Originally Posted by viceversa View Post
    That has been the number 1 question people ask me...I also updated my second post showcasing an app called "Desktop Visualizer" which allows you to create big shortcut icons on your homescreen while choosing whatever icon you want.
    Yes, for a car UI it's useful - the bigger icons are better to use while driving. I knew there should be some app like this, thanks for pointing at the exact one.
    D945GCLF2, Atom 330, M2-ATX, EBY-701, Pharos GPS-500... - Assembled & Installed!

  6. #26
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    82
    Desktop Visualizer is a nice program. However, I think a good solution Car Home - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rdashboardfree. Allows you to customize and added large icons to a launcher made for cars.

  7. #27
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by alpax View Post
    Actually I believe most cars will have a problem - just because the tablet is about 15mm wider than the standard double-DIN unit, and especially because of that charger cable, which sticks out for about an inch. I tried to fit a 7" Samsung tablet into that double-DIN frame that I use for my Lilliput - apparently it needs to be cut, and most importantly, the car dash piece may need to be modified too - there are some connectors on the sides, which, I'm afraid, may not allow the tablet to fit inside. And this is in Honda Pilot, which has a pretty big console - most cars have a smaller one.
    By the way, I think the situation can be improved a little, if you could find an angular data/charging connector for the tablet. I haven't yet found one in my quick online search, but it might exist. Something like this, if you cut the other half off:

    Name:  Samsung_Tab_Connector.jpg
Views: 3041
Size:  3.7 KB

    Or you could just disassemble the standard connector, and make an angular one from it yourself. Shouldn't be too difficult:

    Name:  USB_power_cable.jpg
Views: 3893
Size:  25.6 KB

    Another alternative would be to find a 7" tablet with the connector on the wider side - like the 10" ones. I wonder if one exists. Or just get one, which unlike Samsung doesn't use a proprietary data/charge connector, but a micro-USB or just a simple power connector, which usually is already angled.
    I remember reading some people were able to buy the tablet dock then dismantling it to find the dock connector is at a 90 degree angle. Might help some.

  8. #28
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    27
    Post 2 updated with more info about the current audio configuration

  9. #29
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    27
    updated post 2 with pics of EQ installed inside cubby

  10. #30
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by viceversa View Post
    The current home screen setup complete with shag carpet icons Currently running Cyanogenmod 9 which runs great! way faster than the stock rom...plus I installed an orange theme to match my interior lights.
    Hehe... That's funny - I've never seen such icons before. Look cute, though kinda strange - very unusual, and not very readable, but I guess you just get used to the look.

    Are you still using Desktop Visualizer? Seems like nothing else is really needed for the UI.

    I moved a bit further with my Android tablet project - got a double-DIN frame similar to the one I used for my car PC, but as I was afraid, the tablet is a bit too wide to fit into it. Probably I have to construct some aluminum holders/brackets like you did. But for now my car PC is working (well, more or less), so this tablet "side-project" is a bit stalled. Especially taking into account a very limited spare time that I have, I will probably focus more on the performance side for my other car - that's more fun.
    D945GCLF2, Atom 330, M2-ATX, EBY-701, Pharos GPS-500... - Assembled & Installed!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 91
    Last Post: 07-21-2013, 05:48 AM
  2. galaxy tablet in a lexus
    By mast240 in forum Android Tablet
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-18-2011, 11:26 PM
  3. Samsung Galaxy tab 7 in 06 Audi A4
    By crs9 in forum Android Tablet
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-30-2011, 03:05 AM
  4. A New Direction (Samsung Galaxy Tab)
    By PrayingWithFire in forum Newbie
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-19-2011, 01:26 AM
  5. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.4 x 4.7in tablet
    By RipplingHurst in forum Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets, UMPCs, etc.
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-26-2010, 09:54 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •