2008 Yaris Hatchback Worklog
So I'm trying to decide right now which route I want to go with a carputer. I'm no stranger to computers, electronics, soldering, and auto work.
My "must have" functionality is:
1) Sirius Satellite
2) Playback of CDs
3) Playback of Movie Files
4) Playback of MP3, AAC, etc (including iPod/iPhone connectivity, and charging)
6) Touchscreen LCD
My "nice to have" functionality is:
1) Physical volume knob
2) Playback of DVDs
3) Backup Camera
4) Bluetooth for Phone
6) Flux capacitor / Time travel
I've narrowed my approach down to three options for the brain:
1) Raspberry Pi
2) Shuttle SA76R4 AMD Phenom II
3) Something similar to this, but if I can maybe built into the shell of my old Double DIN OEM radio
4) Mac Mini (if I can figure out the power piece, I'm sure there's lots of info here!)
I also plan to try my hand at fabrication, as I'd like an integrated dock for my iPhone in the dash, and I'll likely want to fashion some kick panels to install a 3 way comp system in the front. Then 5.25 speakers in the back, then a sub somewhere, likely no larger than 10 inches (preferably 8", as I am not looking to shake the windows, only fill out sound)
I'll follow up with pictures of my current interior and whatnot later today when I can snap some pics.
Thoughts on my plans so far?