2010 Dodge Ram Tablet Integration
I have been lurking around for awhile as a guest reading through some of the cool builds and threads here and thought I would join in now that I am beginning my project.
I am replacing my stock HU in my 2010 Ram with a 7 or 7.7" tablet. I am trying to keep the install as simple as possible as for right now, I am not intending on upgrading the factory speakers. Later on, I may integrate a single 10" or 12" sub under a back seat.
- redesign my center faceplate similar to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0o1zkqEuec with access for removal of the tablet using the little tray above the faceplate as a door.
- Android tablet with standard apps and tasker for seamless power on/off
- have FM radio stations (tunein radio does not have my stations)
- be able to connect tablet to stock speaker system
- maintain steering wheel controls (but not absolutely necessary)
- use phone as hotspot or tether to tablet for internet connectivity
- stay under $400-$500
I am going to use one of the 2 following tablets:
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7
- SmartQ X7 http://androidyo.com/2012/11/23/smar...view/#more-484
I am leaning towards the X7 as it has FM in it, great specs, JB4.1, and good initial reviews.
I would like to keep the stock HU by pushing it further into the dash behind the tablet.
I was having trouble with the line out on the stock HU as the output had terrible distortion when I had it connected to my old droid Eris. However, this seems to now much improved with my new razr m. So, if I could have the same result with the tablet, this would be sufficient. I would also maintain my steering wheel volume control. Otherwise, if there is another way to feed audio from the tablet, maybe thru USB, into the stock HU, I could go that route.
I am not looking for high end SQ as most of my music is mp3.
If you have any suggestions, please chime in.