Inching towards the install...
I fashioned a home-made VGA cable from the ruins of one of the two that I accidentally hacked into worthlessness. I was, ah, too agressive with the X-acto knife, as it were. It looks like the Frankenstein cable from hell but I took my time, was very careful with the soldering, and checked, and rechecked to make sure the right wires went to the right pins. I used my digital multimeter (hint: I'm spelling this out so those who don't know what one is will get that they are indispensible) to check continuity for each wire and pin.
Then I dripped hot glue onto the connector to freeze the ever so fragile wires into place and tried it out by installing it into the dock for the Mini.
Whaddya know? It worked! I guess I salvaged half of my cable costs. This picture shows the Mini running full up for the first time in the dock with the P1900 power supply operating it, with the VGA cable installed. A successful system test, if you will.
I also tested the startup/shutdown time from sleep and it clocked in at just under 6 seconds! This is a vast improvement over my current 45 second resume from hibernate of my Epia. Yes, I know I could go with standby on the Epia but I'm now on the Mac track and beginning to visualize what software I'll have to write, how the system will work, etc. and am moving away from the XP system -at least in my head.
Until I make the switch over, my XP system is still my daily ride.