Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 73

Thread: 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL - not done yet, but close

  1. #61
    Variable Bitrate will1384's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Jefferson, AR U.S.A
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    Im guessing he means nasty, in a good way.... Now a days you dont know what someone means. Maybe you should build a piece to match the woofer box that the PC goes into, so it looks uniform. Other then that the install is nice, very clean.
    Wow that was a long time ago, it still hasn't changed back there much
    LOL

    you should have seen my first 3 CarPCs


  2. #62
    Variable Bitrate will1384's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Jefferson, AR U.S.A
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by rdholtz View Post
    But Maybe You Could "Run What Ya Brung"
    You're pretty ingenious, so, instead of buying a solution, how about modifying the system you've built?
    That gave me an Idea

    I wanted a swing arm, the keyboard and screen were blocking the AC/Heater
    controls, radio, and cup holders, so I went to the hardware store and got
    some aluminum square tubing, lock nuts, washers and bolts, also some
    more pipe fittings and made this



    I welded the head of the bolts to the washers, and then welded the
    washers to the pipe couplers like this



    and then I put it together like this, in the second drawing I am not
    counting the washer that I welded



    Here is what it looks like put on my mount



    and extended out a little



    And one more shot for the heck of it


  3. #63
    Sheepdog rdholtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    1,606
    Quote Originally Posted by will1384 View Post
    I wanted a swing arm . . .
    You're not only ingenious, you're equipped to make the most of the ideas. Terrific job!
    .
    If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

    2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...res-links.html
    .

  4. #64
    Variable Bitrate will1384's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Jefferson, AR U.S.A
    Posts
    331
    Out of the blue I had a problem with the M4-ATX it would not boot,
    and booted up once in the middle of the night, I know because I went
    outside to take a break from the computer work in the house, and the
    keyboard was glowing in my car, I reset the M4-ATX and changed
    some wiring, what I think was going on is that the M4-ATX uses
    the difference in voltages between the ACC and 12v+ to figure out
    if it should come on or not, I was feeding it 12v+ to both threw a
    relay, I think it got confused

    This is how it is now, the switched 12v+ goes to my LCD power
    adapter, USB power adapter, and RF transmitter



    I have not had any more problems, and its been about 2 weeks

    Later on this week I am getting in a wireless card
    should be fun, but I expect I will lose a little computer speed
    when I install Anti-virus and Anti-Spyware, I will most likely just
    use Avast and Spybot, and try out Comodo Firewall, Sunbelt
    Personal Firewall, and Online Armor Personal Firewall, to see what
    "does not" slow down the computer to much

  5. #65
    Sheepdog rdholtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    1,606
    Quote Originally Posted by will1384 View Post
    Later on this week I am getting in a wireless card
    should be fun, but I expect I will lose a little computer speed
    when I install Anti-virus and Anti-Spyware, I will most likely just
    use Avast and Spybot, and try out Comodo Firewall, Sunbelt
    Personal Firewall, and Online Armor Personal Firewall, to see what
    "does not" slow down the computer to much
    Go carefully with that Comodo firewall. I had a very unhappy time with it, found it refused to completely uninstall, and ended up being unable to pry it out of my laptop. I rebuilt the system to get rid of it. I haven't tried the other two firewalls. I've had good luck with Avast and AVG antivirus, and haven't heard any negatives about Spybot.
    .
    If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

    2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...res-links.html
    .

  6. #66
    Variable Bitrate will1384's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Jefferson, AR U.S.A
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by rdholtz View Post
    Go carefully with that Comodo firewall. I had a very unhappy time with it, found it refused to completely uninstall, and ended up being unable to pry it out of my laptop. I rebuilt the system to get rid of it. I haven't tried the other two firewalls. I've had good luck with Avast and AVG antivirus, and haven't heard any negatives about Spybot.
    Yea I read a few reviews that sounded bad about Comodo Firewall,
    guess its off the list, I need a small fast firewall, without all the
    bloatware and free

  7. #67
    Variable Bitrate will1384's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Jefferson, AR U.S.A
    Posts
    331
    I installed

    EW-7128G IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card

    And

    Nvidia GeForce 440 MX AGP Video Card - Old, but low power, about 30w

    But when I installed antivirus and firewall software it slowed the
    computer down, it now takes 1 minute 10 seconds to boot - and
    that's with every tweak known to man for Windows XP

    - Boot time was around 30 seconds -

    I am using Avast and Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6

    I ether need to find faster antivirus and firewall software, or figure
    something else out

    I might end up getting a new motherboard and CPU, the one I am using
    is about 8 years old

  8. #68
    Sheepdog rdholtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    1,606
    Quote Originally Posted by will1384 View Post
    . . . when I installed antivirus and firewall software it slowed the computer down, it now takes 1 minute 10 seconds to boot - and that's with every tweak known to man for Windows XP

    - Boot time was around 30 seconds -

    I am using Avast and Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6

    I ether need to find faster antivirus and firewall software, or figure
    something else out
    I'm not sure where you plan to surf with that carPC, but -- given normal usage -- that firewall may be unnecessary. The Windows firewall only blocks incoming traffic, but it seems to do a good job, and the Sygate one may be slowing you down for very little benefit. Since my unpleasant experience with Comodo, I've run using only the XP firewall, and have had no issues.

    Your antivirus is critical, and Avast is fine for a relatively fast machine. But it's pretty heavy for older ones. You might want to consider AVG, which seems somewhat lighter, especially on aging hardware.
    .
    If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

    2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...res-links.html
    .

  9. #69
    Variable Bitrate will1384's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Jefferson, AR U.S.A
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by rdholtz View Post
    I'm not sure where you plan to surf with that carPC, but -- given normal usage -- that firewall may be unnecessary. The Windows firewall only blocks incoming traffic, but it seems to do a good job, and the Sygate one may be slowing you down for very little benefit. Since my unpleasant experience with Comodo, I've run using only the XP firewall, and have had no issues.

    Your antivirus is critical, and Avast is fine for a relatively fast machine. But it's pretty heavy for older ones. You might want to consider AVG, which seems somewhat lighter, especially on aging hardware.
    I got an old Dell Optiplex GX260 reinstalled windows and installed
    every thing like I had in the car, except no antivirus, no firewall
    no antispyware, it booted in 25 to 30 seconds, I rebooted a few
    times just to check, and it stayed 25 to 30 seconds

    I then installed AVG, and for the first few reboots it was fast
    about 35 seconds, but after the 3rd reboot it jumped to 44
    seconds and has stayed there, even though I did nothing but,
    reboot let it run for a few minutes and then reboot, I did that
    over and over just to check

    It seams to linger at the welcome screen like its waiting for something
    - I had thought network, but I am using static IP address even out in
    the car

    Next stop, using BootVis to see whats going on

    Some of the places I will be using WiFi I will need a good firewall

  10. #70
    Variable Bitrate will1384's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Jefferson, AR U.S.A
    Posts
    331
    I was able to speed up the Dell Optiplex GX260 just by disabling
    the welcome screen and using autologin, got it back down to 35
    seconds, I still wonder what changed in the first place to slow it
    down

    BootVis is showing no change, its just that I am able to see the desktop
    and click on things 10 seconds before it stops booting, that's 10 seconds
    that the welcome screen was hiding the desktop

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •