Power: OPUS 150 watt DC-DC power Supply
I am using this mostly for own reference, however I would appreciate and I welcome any comments/suggestions from the veterans and other installers.
I have no experience with carputers, however I have installed various sound systems in previous vehicles I have owned and I have a Bachelors in Computer Science. Put the two together, and I'm hoping I can build a carputer for my new ride.
To start off, here is my ride.
My expectations for my carputer, in order of importance:
- MP3 Player
- DVD Player
- GPS System
- PS2 Capability
Reasons for a carputer:
My stock unit cannot play MP3 cds. Instead of the same aftermarket, boring install, why not try a more challenging project? I was planning on eventually adding screen capability for PS2/DVD reasons, but when I can do that plus MP3 and many more features, I'm game.
In the mail:
- Goldwood 6.5" Free-Air Subs
- Infinity Kappa Components
- Mukti-Amp Install Kit
- Infinity Reference Amps (2)
- OPUS 150 watt DC-DC power Supply SFX.1215
- Maxtor 60GB HDD
- Plextor DVD/CD Writer
- Athenatech A202BB.L220 Black Computer Case
- BIOSTAR M7NCG 400 Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 IGP Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
- AMD Mobile Athlon XP-M 2400+ (35W) Barton 266MHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket A Processor
- CT6464Z335.8T Crucial Micron 512MB DDR
- LinITX 7" Widescreen VGA/Composite Monitor with Touchscreen
- USB 2.0 to 40pin IDE Cable (For DVD Drive Relocation)
- Mini-Key USB Keyboard DGPN-570
- Cable / SVGA-HD15 Male To Female With Ferrites 10ft (For VGA Run from PC -> LCD)
- USB Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX
- Computer - I have been researching cases, motherboards, processors, etc, but I have not settled on anything just yet.
- Buffalo Technology WLI2USB2G54 54Mbps Wireless Usb 2.0 Adapter With AOSS
- Aluminium case 4 port USB 2.0 hubs, double USB powered
- Installation as a whole. I do not want to do any modifying to the car if necessary. By modification, I mean appearance wise, as in the dash. I do not wish to cut up the dash. I would rather attempt making a casing for the LCD that will mount in the stock radio's spot.
- I have not decided where I will be putting a DVD-Rom drive. I am thinking of putting it in the center console or glove box, or possibly under a seat. At the present time I am not planning on putting the drive in the dash.
- USB Hub. I am not sure if I will be putting this in the rear or somewhere up front. I am assuming up front would probably be best, as I will have at least one empty USB Slot in the rear where the computer physically is.
More Car Background:
The '05 Pontiac GTO has front door speakers, front dash tweeters, rear side panel speakers and rear deck free-air subs. I am only planning on replacing the front door speakers and dash tweeters with the Components listed above. I am then going to replace the stock free-air 6.5" subs, as mentioned above. I am not going to be using/replacing the rear side panel speakers as of now.
I will update this as much as I can, with lots of pictures of the install. Hopefully everything goes OK and I have a carputer running in the upcoming weeks.
Waow, looks nice
Is there anything (like a storage case) in the upper part of the dash ? above the two vents ? Looks like a screen could go there (a screen that could fold and hide)
Via Epia M10000 / 512 DDR / 10gigs 3.5 HD / M1-ATX / Innovatek 7" TS Screen
Trunk fiberglassing in progress...
Need GPS / Aux Input / WiFi
My Corolla Computer
You know, I was thinking that exact thing after seeing pictures of my dash up close. I do not know exactly what is behind there, but I know that peice is removeable as people are putting extra gauges up there.
I haven't completely checked into legalities of monitors, but would that be an easy reason to be pulled over if a cop were to see it up that high in the vehicle?
Yup, it's the American version of the Monaro, like hakhawk said.
I have an 04 GTO and was also wanting to put in a carputer. I was thinking about removing the headunit and buying another center console piece and fabing a 8" zenarc screen into it and putting the computer in the hole left by the radio.
Mine is blue with the blue interior and a 6 speed.
Cool, M6 here as well, with an LPE Instake as my only mod so far (besides XM Radio and Radar Detector hard-wired).
Do you know where you would get the center console peice, and an estimate of how much that would be? I am planning on not doing any fab work to the dash peices themselves, but if it's not very expensive to replace, I wouldn't mind messing with it knowing I can put a stock one back in for cheap.