Power: OPUS 150 watt DC-DC power Supply
I am using this mostly for own reference, however I would appreciate and I welcome any comments/suggestions from the veterans and other installers.
I have no experience with carputers, however I have installed various sound systems in previous vehicles I have owned and I have a Bachelors in Computer Science. Put the two together, and I'm hoping I can build a carputer for my new ride.
To start off, here is my ride.
My expectations for my carputer, in order of importance:
- MP3 Player
- DVD Player
- GPS System
- PS2 Capability
Reasons for a carputer:
My stock unit cannot play MP3 cds. Instead of the same aftermarket, boring install, why not try a more challenging project? I was planning on eventually adding screen capability for PS2/DVD reasons, but when I can do that plus MP3 and many more features, I'm game.
In the mail:
- Goldwood 6.5" Free-Air Subs
- Infinity Kappa Components
- Mukti-Amp Install Kit
- Infinity Reference Amps (2)
- OPUS 150 watt DC-DC power Supply SFX.1215
- Maxtor 60GB HDD
- Plextor DVD/CD Writer
- Athenatech A202BB.L220 Black Computer Case
- BIOSTAR M7NCG 400 Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 IGP Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
- AMD Mobile Athlon XP-M 2400+ (35W) Barton 266MHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket A Processor
- CT6464Z335.8T Crucial Micron 512MB DDR
- LinITX 7" Widescreen VGA/Composite Monitor with Touchscreen
- USB 2.0 to 40pin IDE Cable (For DVD Drive Relocation)
- Mini-Key USB Keyboard DGPN-570
- Cable / SVGA-HD15 Male To Female With Ferrites 10ft (For VGA Run from PC -> LCD)
- USB Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX
- Computer - I have been researching cases, motherboards, processors, etc, but I have not settled on anything just yet.
- Buffalo Technology WLI2USB2G54 54Mbps Wireless Usb 2.0 Adapter With AOSS
- Aluminium case 4 port USB 2.0 hubs, double USB powered
- Installation as a whole. I do not want to do any modifying to the car if necessary. By modification, I mean appearance wise, as in the dash. I do not wish to cut up the dash. I would rather attempt making a casing for the LCD that will mount in the stock radio's spot.
- I have not decided where I will be putting a DVD-Rom drive. I am thinking of putting it in the center console or glove box, or possibly under a seat. At the present time I am not planning on putting the drive in the dash.
- USB Hub. I am not sure if I will be putting this in the rear or somewhere up front. I am assuming up front would probably be best, as I will have at least one empty USB Slot in the rear where the computer physically is.
More Car Background:
The '05 Pontiac GTO has front door speakers, front dash tweeters, rear side panel speakers and rear deck free-air subs. I am only planning on replacing the front door speakers and dash tweeters with the Components listed above. I am then going to replace the stock free-air 6.5" subs, as mentioned above. I am not going to be using/replacing the rear side panel speakers as of now.
I will update this as much as I can, with lots of pictures of the install. Hopefully everything goes OK and I have a carputer running in the upcoming weeks.
Power: OPUS 150 watt DC-DC power Supply
Waow, looks nice
Is there anything (like a storage case) in the upper part of the dash ? above the two vents ? Looks like a screen could go there (a screen that could fold and hide)
You know, I was thinking that exact thing after seeing pictures of my dash up close. I do not know exactly what is behind there, but I know that peice is removeable as people are putting extra gauges up there.
I haven't completely checked into legalities of monitors, but would that be an easy reason to be pulled over if a cop were to see it up that high in the vehicle?
nice, an american monaro. cant wait to see your install, id probably remove the whole radio and make up a face that the screen will go into.
Kool, i was wondering why that car had the Holden stock radio in it. lol.
Yup, it's the American version of the Monaro, like hakhawk said.
oh, and you could go oem style and using a slot load dvd drive, you could mould it to be in same place, and have the screen moulded just under it.
I have an 04 GTO and was also wanting to put in a carputer. I was thinking about removing the headunit and buying another center console piece and fabing a 8" zenarc screen into it and putting the computer in the hole left by the radio.
Mine is blue with the blue interior and a 6 speed.
Cool, M6 here as well, with an LPE Instake as my only mod so far (besides XM Radio and Radar Detector hard-wired).
Do you know where you would get the center console peice, and an estimate of how much that would be? I am planning on not doing any fab work to the dash peices themselves, but if it's not very expensive to replace, I wouldn't mind messing with it knowing I can put a stock one back in for cheap.
Somewhat OT, but do you know what your Horsepower and engine size are, just curious to see how it compares to the 66' GTO...
Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
6.0L V8, 400hp (At the engine, of course. People are reporting anywhere from 310-330 or so at the wheels after dyno runs.) They up'd the engine from the '04, which is 3.8L V8 @ 350hp.
*** Edit ***
3.8L?! 5.7L, sorry.
5.7L actually but yes, mine is 350/365. I havent gone to the dealer yet to ask about the console piece but I have ordered other parts from them. I bought a new copy of the top of the console, the black piece shaped like a dome above the ac controls. I am fabbing a gauge pod into it. That piece was only like $28 so I dont think the other piece will be too bad.
Cool, I have seen a lot of gauge pods up there, they look good.
I don't know where I got 3.8 from, haha My bad.
I don't think you could have any problem with police as long as you don't watch any movies there... but I don't know how it's where you live. Here we can do anything except videos