Well the first problem on this quest has arisen.. The Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro PCI Soundcard with Internal IO Hub
causes the SP-13000 much grief when plugged in, ie, it wont boot.
Im bench testing it, running it using a desktop ATX 250w power supply, with no other peripherals attached, and it just wont POST. No beep, nothing coming out on the display. Nothing.
I've tried changing everything possible in the bios and updating to version 1.07. Still no luck. Nothing i try will let the board boot with that card plugged in.
Creative tech support is being most unhelpful.
I may end up just selling the card and using something else.
What a dissappointment.
* 9/8/05 Update *
Card has been RMA'd and hopefully replaced, so we should see when i get a new one back, if it was the card or the motherboard.
* 11/8/05 Update *
Got the card back from distributor.. they couldn't find a defect so they replaced it. Tried booting with it and SUCCESS! First time tried, it worked. Beautiful.
Now on to other things...
* 22/08/05 * Update
Purchased the required Phidget elements from www.phidgetsUSA.com:
- 1 x InterfaceKit 0/16/16
- 1 x InterfaceKit 8/8/8
- 1 x Light Sensor
- 1 x RFID Kit
- 1 x PhidgetSensor Encoder
- 2 x Voltage Sensor
- 2 x Touch Sensor
- 3 x Temperature Sensor
Which means as soon as they arrive it will be time for work on the interface to the carpc from the stock facia to begin. It also means i'll have temperature and voltage information for the car and stereo, so i can automatically shutdown components if they start to get hot or available voltage drops (Amps etc).
* 30/08/05 * Update
Phidgets finally arrive.. so much for express UPS delivery.. As well as Government duties.. BUT, they're here and they work great.
I've started to work on the interface software which will drive the 7" and smaller 5" for OEM replacement. Phidgets will tie into it and media will be played via it using FMod.
On the way now.
* 30/08/05 * Update
Another update today. Software development Continues. Goal: To play audio with a decent touch-friendly Interface which integrates with the Phidgets for control (OEM Stereo Facia). Developed in C#(.NET V1.4322) using SDL for graphics and FMod for audio.
Features so far:
* Skinnable interface with vector-based buttons, allows for buttons to wrap around other buttons, all sorts of different shapes. All defined using Object-Orientation.
* Generic button command structure, buttons store a text-based command identifier which is passed into a command execution class when a click is found to be within its defined polygon.
* Media events such as Next Track and Next Directory which other objects can hook into, such as the Skin object, which updates the display of Directory and Track when the relevant buttons cause the directory/track to move
* No media information caching, it picks up media on the fly, which means no media library building (such as i experienced in Centrafuse), files and directories are looked up on the fly and streamed into FMod.
Very incomplete. Still just working on base features. skins will be very easy to create, consisting of two images per screen, one for all buttons off, one for all buttons on, button regions are blitted from the relevant image on the fly as needed. No slicing required. Skin, Screen and buttons are defined using XML Serialization to disk.
I should start a thread in the Software/Frontend section.. yes.
For now, see the attached screenshot. I'll upload a Binary and Source version over the next week or so.
P.S. The spectrum graph rotates and zooms based on the sound (total values averaged for that frame). Looks kinda cool, was really just playing around with what was possible. Vis framework would be a good idea.
* 14/09/05 * Update
Well two weeks have passed.. im %70 through my 2 week holiday, averaging about 16 hours a day coding.. some holiday!
The USB PhidgetEncoder is fried.. never worked, they're sending another one.. more Government duties for them to pay..... Yay delays Yay.
Software is coming together nicely. Im taking time building up solid foundations so that the extensions later on will be solid and reliable.. nothing worse than trying to develop on a shaky base.
Should be putting the Sub Box together over the next 2 days as well, at which point i'll put the carpc in the car and test the outputs (make sure the front goes to front, rear to rear and sub to sub) and just generally see if the sound output meets my expectations or not.
Oh, and i also got a DSB-R100 USB Radio off Ebay which im going to tie into the whole thing (somehow).
So little to do, so much time!
* 15/11/05 * Update
The Rigours of being back at work have taken their toll.. and in 2 months not much has happened. ive managed to install most of the stereo gear and do some test-playing, not not much above that. Here are some pics that are around 3 weeks old.. the Box is now covered in black carpet and things are actually more wired up now than in these pics..
Install Pics So Far
Where the power (red on right) and RCA's (blue on left) enter the boot
Back of box, you can see the power distribution block
side of box, you can see the terminals for one sub, two sets, one for each Voice Coil. Also you can see the angle on the front.
you can see the big red cable on the door sill, comes through an unused gromet in the firewall
bracket for 100A fuse holder that i constructed out of aluminium, yet to spray it black.