Okay, I got a bunch of work on the TruckPuter in and then my job got busy. However I'm back to it now. Here is where it stand.
- Fabricated custom mounting plate for DSATX and Garmin GPS15.
- Removed power connector on DSATX and relocated one capacitor in order to fit HQCT
- Replace power input wires w/ heaver guage; removed power terminals from DSATX board
- Milled out one of the internal ribs in the ampie case (interfered w/ GPS15)
- Fabricated mounting brackets for HQCT.
- Assembled, tested, installed software....it works!
My opinion is that the DSATX is a *much* more well designed product than the M2-ATX which it replaced. However cramming it into the Ampie case required fabbing a custom mounting plate. It wasn't too badd. I used a vertical mill, but it could be done with a hand drill, hacksaw and nibbler. The modifications that I made to the DSATX (connector removal, capacitor relocation) are *only* required if you want to also cram an HQCT into the case. This puppy is chock full now!
In retrospact, I've decided to mount the HQCT elsewhere for various reasons, so some of the work was for nothing. But it was fun to prove that it could be done.
Next I'll be working on a custom rack-frame that replaces the head unit. It will hold the screen, CD/DVD drive, HQCT, 2x2 chan audio amps (41Hz AMP3 kits) and a 4-port USB hub.