Righto, I’ll explain the touchscreen dash mounting first. I wanted the screen to fit into the double DIN slot, and I looked at doing the usual; cutting up the existing “Super” screen’s plastic bezel, gluing it into place, then bondo and paint. Then I thought, why not just make a new bezel? I don’t need the buttons, and they won’t fit anyway. So I drew up a new bezel in Autocad.
I printed out the template to scale, glued it onto a thin sheet of MDF and cut it out with a knife. (sorry a few of the pics are a bit dodgy, I took them with my phone).
I used the trusty Dremel with the sanding drum to remove the inner lip of the dash piece (seen in the first post) so that the screen would drop in flush with the face of the dash piece. Here’s a test fit of the MDF piece:
I then glued two thicker pieces of MDF to the back to attach the LCD to:
I made a small mistake here, I thought that the LCD and the touch panel needed to be offset, hence the recess for the touch panel in the first pic. That turned out to be wrong… (more on that later)
Then it was on to painting. I haven’t done much painting before so it was a learning experience. I found that I needed to use a spray putty primer to fill all the imperfections on the surface.
I put on one coat of that, sanded with some 400 paper, then another coat, then sand again. I then gave it a coat of satin black, but the imperfections were still slightly visible. So further sanding with wet 1200 grit and then another coat of black fixed the problem.
Mounted in the dash piece:
Here’s where I realise my mistake. I didn’t centre the screen in the bezel window correctly; the left side of the image is chopped off, and there is a stripe down the right side.
Luckily, I used hot glue, so I pulled it all apart, removed the recessed part and centred the screen. Annoying, but thankfully fairly easy to fix.
There you have it! The easiest 2 DIN bezel I have seen, and no need to hack up your original screen casing!
Next instalment, folding the custom aluminium case from 0.8mm sheet using a simple DIY bending brake.