2002 Porsche Carrera Cabriolet + MacMini + StreetDeck
I have finally kicked off my Carputer Project. I will start posting pictures of our progress soon. After much debate with co-workers (we are going to reproduce our efforts on 3 or 4 cars at the office), we have decided to run the following:
- Macintosh Mini 1.66 / 512M / 60Gb current "base" model
- Windows XP Pro via BootCamp
- Fixed Double-Din mounted Transflective Touchscreen (still shopping)
- Carnetix P2140 w/Mac Mini Cable & USB Management Software
- Sirius SIR-ALP1 w/RUSH2112.net USB Interface
- ccStick Input Device
- Valentine 1 Virtual Radar Display (when cables become available again)
- Bluetooth Hands free (when available for Streetdeck)
- Cingular UMTS/HSDPA 3G data connection
- USB external storage (250Gb+) for Media
We will be installing the first system in my Porsche Carrera 2 Cabriolet. Work will begin this weekend by re-locating the Porsche's A/C controlls to the lower console, scoping out the wiring, & taking measurements for the LCD fabrication.
We have settled on the Macintosh Mini for a few reasons:
- Its a nice tight formfactor for a Core Duo platform
- Great Bang for the Buck ($599 for a Core Duo system that includes Optical Audio)
- They were built to be used with a Remote PowerSupply
- We want the cool "Apple" sticker <SmirK>
We have no plans to leverage OS-X, but we plan on leaving it on the drive so that we can dual-boot if we ever had the desire to play around with the native Mac features.
We picked up the first Mini yesterday and got it running on our bench. It took about 2 hours to get it setup with a 32Gb Windows Partition running XP. We installed XP Pro, Mappoint 2006, Drivers for the SIRF USB GPS, StreetDeck, and a few other misc. applications.
Parts On the way: Sirius , Power Supply, StreetDeck, Lilliput 8" Monitor (For Bench Testing)
I'll start with pictures when they get interesting.......
Project Update - Parts in / Mule
I figured i'd post a few "before" shots and some pics of the components on the "bench" (actually, kitchen counter, to the dismay of my girlfriend):
The Current DASH:
I am going to remove the CD holder in the bottom half of the dash and move the A/C controls down.
I think an 8" will fit, but we'll know as I pull it all apart. I want the monitor to install clean with no bezel behind the factory surround:
Since this is a Convertible, I want the install to be as stealth as possible. I was originally thinking the Mac Mini would go under the hood where the factory changer lived, but I think it'll work excellent in the glovebox:
I have most everything working, but i"ve decided I need a full GIG of ram (currently 512Mb). I have 30A 110V->12V power supply I am going to use to get the carnetix supply going on the bench this week. I'm also going to work on an orange/black skin so it will match the dash of the Porsche.
More as it comes.....