1998 Jetta TDI Project
Over the next few weeks I will be attempting to install a car computer into my mk3 Jetta TDI. I've been reading these forums for about a year now and I guess it's about time to do a project of my own.
I've wanted to install a computer for quite some time now, but until recently I was rather uninspired by the lack of good mk3 VW installs. Those of you that own a mk3 VW or have seen the interior might know what I'm talking about. The main problem is that the car comes with a single DIN radio, which means that if you want an easy, stock looking screen, the closest that you can get is buying a motorized or pop out lcd screen. Well, I am not very fond of that type of lcd screen and was going to give up on the project until I saw someone else's project here:
I actually hadn't thought of removing the HVAC controls and placing them below in the cupholder area (which, if you have ever been in a mk3 VW, you would know, that they are almost completely unusable).
Now, I do like being original, so I'm going to try and avoid making mine look exactly the same as his. In order to do this, I have a few ideas of my own: First, I will be using brushed aluminum trim instead of a plastic/plastic look trim, second, which is isn't too different, I will be using a slot loading disc drive, third, I will probably be using different switches for the AC, Recirculation, Rear Defrost, and Door Unlock buttons, and fourth, I will be installing some USB ports in the same area as the disc drive.
I plan on mounting the computer in the glove box (not real original, I know, but it works)and installing my slim PS2 in the glove box as well. Sound wise, I'm still debating on installing all new speakers with an amp, or just buying an auxiliary audio input adapter from http://www.enfigcarstereo.com.
The computer I will be installing:
- Motherboard/CPU: VIA EPIA CN13000G
- Disc Drive: Slot Loading External DVD-R/RW
- Hard Drive1: Internal 80GB 5400RPM 2.5"
- Hard Drive2: External 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache 3.5" Mounted in armrest
- Screen: Undecided as of yet
- Internet: Sprint EVDO Rev -A, 802.11a/b/g
And last, some specs on my car:
- Installed Mods: Brushed aluminum Door pins, Audi TT Pedals, P.I.E. iPod adapter
- Soon to be installed mods: PowerPlus 520 injector nozzles, Rocketchip Stage III, Dieselgeek short shifter, Shine Real Street Racing Suspension system, Straight-back exhaust, Euro MkIV GTI Sport shifter knob and boot, brushed aluminum e-brake handle, chromed door handles (for some reason I can't find these in brushed aluminum)
I'll post some pics of my car as soon as I get them uploaded
Hi I like your setup. i have been wanting to do this for awhile now, im just having trouble finding the dash kit for the LCD. Can you give me some ideas? thanks you.