Well, I took the step off the deep end and applied the 3M firm plastic repair stuff, talk about goopy! I masked the area with masking tape and basically applied a whole lot of this stuff, as I didn't want any low spots. In retrospect, I should have done a couple of thinner layers to avoid the air pockets I've been finding as I sand. Heres the stuff applied and masking removed:
Rough shape taking...shape. Using the metal file almost exclusively.
Sanded to approx shape, masked, and ready for round 2. For this, I decided to put tape behind the edges of the bezel to form a dam. After the goop sets, you can cut from behind with a razorknife and get your straight edges back. The plastic repair stuff cuts a whole lot easier than the bezel and I didn't knick it at all.
Sanded down the second coat, and appiled a third in some places. Also decided to fill in the decorative slashes in the dash piece mostly because they would be a b**** to sand and maintain the sharp edges.